Selecting the right database for your application is a crucial decision that impacts performance, scalability, and development efficiency. This guide will help you understand key factors to consider when choosing a database.
Relational vs. Non-Relational Databases
The first decision is whether you need a traditional relational database like MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc. or a non-relational “NoSQL” database.
Relational databases are ideal if you need ACID compliance, complex queries, multi-row transactions, and clear schema structure upfront. The predefined schema helps enforce data consistency.
Non-relational databases like MongoDB and Cassandra handle unstructured or polymorphic data better. You can modify schemas frequently and scale horizontally across commodity servers. Looser consistency models improve availability and performance.
Evaluate your data models, access patterns, and scaling needs to determine which type fits best. Many apps use a mix of relational and non-relational databases.
Here are key factors to evaluate when choosing a database:
– Data models – Are relationships well-defined upfront or fluid? What data types do you need to store?
– Transaction support – Do you need full ACID compliance? Or is BASE consistency sufficient?
– Query requirements – Are queries predefined or ad-hoc? Do they involve complex multi-table joins?
– Performance needs – Read/write splits? Response time requirements? Caching needs?
– Scalability – Scale up with bigger servers or scale out across commodity hardware?
– Development skills – Does your team have SQL or NoSQL experience? Ease of use?
– Operational needs – Tuning, monitoring, backups, etc. Is a fully managed service preferred?
– Budget – Open source or commercial database? Factoring long-term TCO.
Taking the time to thoroughly evaluate your application’s specific database requirements will pay dividends down the road. Don’t just default to the “hot” database of the moment. Choose the optimal one for your app!
Experience in the area of Business Requirement Gathering, Project planning & Estimation (using Agile Methodology).Proven expertise in handling multiple projects across different phases such as System Analysis / Design, Implementation / Testing, Integration / Deployment and Support.
Fill out the contact form, reserve a time slot, and arrange a Zoom Meeting with one of our specialists.
Get a Consultation
Get on a call with our team to know the feasibility of your project idea.
Get a Cost Estimate
Based on the project requirements, we share a project proposal with budget and timeline estimates.
Once the project is signed, we bring together a team from a range of disciplines to kick start your project.
Join our email list to receive regular updates on our latest blog posts, industry news, and insights. By subscribing, you’ll never miss out on the latest content from our team.